Friday, September 7, 2018

Assignment 4: Forming An Opportunity Belief



There's something I strongly believe in. The world is changing and people are less and less leaving home. Internet deliveries such as those of Amazon are becoming more and more numerous and popular. Students barely go to class anymore, they watch their classes online. Everything is done to reduce travel costs and everyone benefits from this extraordinary recent development. But in this enormous and rapid development, there is one area where technology has still not made its best to reduce both pricing and timing. This sector is the food sector. It is true that food deliveries are common, but they are often expensive and require tipping the staff in addition to the delivery cost. What I am proposing is a phone application that would allow us to analyze the foods and its component in our fridges and then give us all the possible combinations of dishes to cook based on the foods we already have in our fridges. This saves time for people who cook, allows them to find alternative cooking dishes instead of having to buy extra food and it saves time because we no longer have to learn recipes by heart.


Everyone could benefit from this invention, from the poorest families who will no longer have to worry about which dishes they can cook with their inexpensive ingredients, to the richest families who could eventually decide to cook themselves instead of buying delivered or takeaway dishes every single day. After a lot of research on the subject, I am almost 100% sure that this project has never been finalized or truly highlighted on the market. As I wrote earlier, anyone can be targeted by this product but there is a specificity, they must be able to cook. This application should therefore be allowed to people over 16 years of age.


So, I went to ask three people of different ages and sexes four very specific questions on the matter. The first question was, does cooking take too much time. They all responded unanimously that yes, cooking does take them too much of their time. Then I asked them when did they start to realize that it was taking them too much time. Danny, a student at UF, replied that when he lived at home it wasn't a problem for him but now it was taking him too much time in addition to his academic and extracurricular activities so he really realized this phenomenon when he was started his studies at the University of Florida. The other two people, being adults, replied that they had this time management problem caused by the amount of time taken to cook for so long that they could not even remember when they started being aware of this phenomenon. Then I asked them a third question, which was whether they had already addressed this need to a person or to an organization, and they all replied that they did not because they do not know who to reach out to. Finally, once I told them about my project idea, they unanimously reacted positively. They replied that it would be of great help to them and that it would save them a lot of time and money.



To sum up, after talking to these three potential future customers, I realized that my idea was quite popular and that it may not be necessary for me to change or adapt my idea because they all seemed satisfied and I didn't receive any negative or positive criticism that could have changed my idea. Of course, if my customers' answers and reactions were different, I would have adapted my product because I think that every entrepreneur must listen to the objective criticisms of their potential clients.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Max! I really enjoyed reading your post and can tell that you put a lot of thought into it. I really like your idea because I often want to make a meal but don't know what I can make using the ingredients that I already have in my fridge. I also love trying new foods so I like that the app can help me find new recipes for me to experiment in the kitchen. Your idea definitely has a lot of potential and can be pursued with greater research on customer desires and needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who cooks often and takes pride in making homemade meals, I think this idea is very promising. As college students, we often are very limited on the ingredients we have in our possession. However, we are not the only group that has large time constraints. Parents who work full time also could face this problem and be potential customers. As a result, many people could benefit from this application. Unfortunately, I believe that the development costs would be high to develop this application. It would be time consuming and require advanced coding techniques which would increase the initial costs. I believe the idea is good but would require a large customer base to support the fixed costs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Max,
    Your opportunity belief is unique. I don’t think there is a 100% opportunity for it, but I do think people would try it! It is sometimes difficult to think of something to make with what you already have, so this app might be useful! I feel like your interviews could have been explained in more detail, but overall great job!

    ReplyDelete